3 hour pose done tonight


3 hour pose at the Cambridge Centre for the Arts.  Also linked on the courses page of my personal website.

Conte on some kind of arches paper.  

Someone asked me at the session why I had a pad of paper behind my paper, and I thought I'd mention this here.  Even when I'm going to be producing a piece on a single piece of paper, I always keep a decently thick pad of newsprint or other paper behind.  I would really advise this as opposed to having the paper right on top of the harsh wooden board behind it.  The paper will allow your paper on top to have some give to it, and will allow you to press more.  With just a wooden board, you're pressing directly against a hard surface, and it gives you much harsher, less subtle results I find.  Also why many prefer to work with canvases than wooden boards for oil painting.  I prefer my paper to have the extra flexibility of the spring of the paper pad behind.

Hope this helps someone!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting note on the paper pad. I will have to try this in the future. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you notice a difference. I've found it very helpful.

      Delete
  2. Youre getting better and better all the time man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul that means a lot. I felt that I was beginning to plateau a bit, but this piece revived my spirits a touch. As does your comment.

      Delete